BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Keeping 1 "golden" backup for a year

2011-03-25 12:40:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Keeping 1 "golden" backup for a year
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 11:38:40 -0500
On 3/25/2011 10:36 AM, Brad Alexander wrote:
> Okay, this kind of confuses me. I would like to have the following
> backup strategy:
>
> 6 incrementals (*2)
> 1 weekly (*2)
> 1 yearly (*1)
>
> Currently,
>
> $Conf{FullKeepCnt} = [ 1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1 ];
>

> So how should I set up my FullKeepCnt to keep one backup for a year and
> two sets of fulls/incrementals for the past two weeks?

The meaning of FullKeepCnt array doubles for each element so if you do
weekly fulls you can't quite hit yearly boundaries.
[2,0,0,0,0,100]
would keep the 2 most recent weeklys and one every 32 weeks for longer
than you are likely to want them.  Per
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=Keep_yearly_backups
the next step would be 64 weeks - but you could keep monthlys to have
the last year boundary like:
[2,0,13,0,0,100]
Note that with backuppc's pooling it doesn't take that much more space
to keep more history unless there is a big turnover in file content.
Also, you may see a few more nearby fulls than you expect since they are
retained if any incrementals depend on them.