BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Ignore large files ?

2011-03-23 16:53:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Ignore large files ?
From: Richard Jacobsen <richard AT unixboxen DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:31:55 -0700
When last I tried, backuppc didn't support this with its rsync
transport.  I had to make a workaround.

Here's how I do it:

First, use rsyncd instead of rsync as the transport on the client side,
and set up your rsyncd secrets file.

For /etc/rsyncd.conf use something like this:
  uid = root
  pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
  use chroot = no
  read only = yes
  transfer logging = true
  log format = %h %o %f %l %b
  log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
  slp refresh = 900
  secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets
  [raid4]
        path = /raid4
        comment = Backup
        read only = yes
        auth users = backuppc
        exclude from = /etc/rsyncd.raid4.excludes
  [raid5]
        path = /raid5
        comment = Backup
        read only = yes
        auth users = backuppc
        exclude from = /etc/rsyncd.raid5.excludes

And then have a cron job to create the exclude directories:

0 * * * * find /raid4 -size +16M  | sed -e 's/\/raid4\///' >
/etc/rsyncd.raid4.excludes
0 * * * * find /raid5 -size +16M  | sed -e 's/\/raid5\///' >
/etc/rsyncd.raid5.excludes

This works OK (you might get some files created in the last hour that
are bigger than your max size), but be sure to run rsync out of inetd
instead of standalone, as I've seen it not reread the exclude files when
they change if its in daemon mode.

Richard