BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] CPOOL, PC directories and backuppc statistics generation -- moving cpool possibly?

2011-03-18 13:43:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] CPOOL, PC directories and backuppc statistics generation -- moving cpool possibly?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 13:41:14 -0400
Scott wrote at about 13:06:21 -0400 on Friday, March 18, 2011:
 > I am trying to figure out why my backuppc statistics are not generating
 > (everything is basically all 0's in the status page -- see below).
 >
 > Notice pool is at 0gb...
 >
 > So looking at the code, it loops through the  backupc/cpool/ directory tree
 > and counts files and directories.    Running a linux tree -a command, there
 > are some directories, but NO files under there.
 >
 > However all my pc's are under the "backupc/pc" directory - with appropriate
 > backed up files under each pc name.
 >
 > Is there possibly something wrong with my configuration that the files are
 > in the wrong place, or some other script is not working properly to update
 > the 'cpool'?
 >
 > I HAVE moved everything from /var/lib/backuppc to /mnt/backuppc  (a
 > different hard drive).
 >
 > AHA!!    Doing a tree -a in /var/lib/backuppc I see a "cpool" there with
 > LOTS of directories and files!!!
 >
 > So, somewhere I must have to point the cpool and log directories at the new
 > location, where is that?

That almost definitely won't work -- backuppc is based on hard links
and the hard links *must* be on the same filesystem (i.e., you can't
hard link across filesystems)
Also, moving won't be simple since it is non-trivial to move (i.e.,
actually copy) a massive deeply linked filesystem.

Read the documentation and archives for more details...