BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backup stalls

2011-03-16 00:03:47
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backup stalls
From: Manu Poletti <manu.poletti AT dieselgas.co DOT nz>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 16:28:22 +1300
We use BackupPC on Ubuntu Hardy to backup a number of Windows XP hosts
using smb.  It has worked faultlessly for at last 2 years; until a week
ago one by one the hosts stopped being backed up. Now none except local
host work.

When A backup runs after being manually or automaticaly queued, it seems
to stall very soon after it starts. Some files are copied to the
temporary directory at   /var/lib/backuppc/pc/[hostname]/new/   but the
pid's show no CPU activity after a few seconds. Each job seems to stop
on a single file each time, and using windows "Computer Management" I
can see just one open file. BackupPC will stall on four backups like at
once and they will just sit there doing nothing until the ClientTimeout
is exceeded (20 hours). Then the backup exits with an error reported in
the XferLOG "exiting after signal ALRM".

I have tried running the smbclient command manually like this:

sudo -u backuppc /usr/bin/smbclient \\\\[hostName]\\wk -U [userName] -N
-d 10 -c tarmode\ full -Tc backup.tar

This works so I assume its not the transport. But after that I am stuck.
Any suggestions?

Manu.