BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] IPv6 support

2011-03-15 13:42:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] IPv6 support
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 13:38:23 -0400
Vinz S <svinz82 AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 03/15/2011 05:13:19 AM:

> I'm using backuppc 3.1.0-9 on a Debian Squeeze server and I have
> some trouble with ipv6.
> When I define a AAAA record for a backup client it doesn't work, I
> have this message: Can't find host test via netbios.
> When I add a A record for this client everything is working.
> Can you tell me if ipv6 support to backuppc is already ok for the
> version I'm using or if it's on the roadmap of future versions.

BackupPC does no communication on its own.  At its most simplest (and in the best spirit of UNIX), it is a daemon that coordinates lots of other utilities together.

What that means is that the question is not, "Is BackupPC IPv6 ready?", but, "Are all of the tools BackupPC uses IPv6 ready?"  As you can imagine, that's a *much* more complex question!

For example, the item that you're asking about (Can't find host via netbios) is handled by Samba.  The Samba utility is the one trying to resolve the host, and it's not looking for AAAA records.  So the place to look would be within the Samba project.

Of course, you can substitute nearly *any* program (via the BackupPC config.pl file) for the ones that BackupPC is using, so you might be able to substitute an IPv6-ready nslookup (or dig or whatever) command in its place.

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com