BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Possible to mimic the "dirvish" behaviour of rsync?

2010-12-21 15:35:02
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Possible to mimic the "dirvish" behaviour of rsync?
From: Andreas Piening <andreas.piening AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 21:33:18 +0100
Dear backuppc-users-list,

I use backuppc to backup some of my customers servers and dirvish to backup
some others. The thing that I really like about dirvish (apart from it's easy
configuration), is that it creates only one initial snapshot and than unlimited
incremental backups based on hard-links. That means that there is never a
second full backup after the initial one, ever! This dramatically decreases the
amount of data needed to be transferred over the network over the time. This is
especially essential if I need to backup a server over a slow
DSL-internet-connection where a full-backup takes days....

Because I really like the benefits from backuppc (compression, re-using backups
of multiple occuring single files over different hosts, great web-interface...)
I ask myself how I can get backuppc to mimic this behavior from dirvish. Is it
enough to screw up "FullPeriod" and "FullAgeMax" to let's say 9999999?
Since I'm not fine with this idea which seems to conflict with the way backuppc
operates, I ask for assistance.

Im sorry if I was not able to make my intension perfectly clear, but please
feel free to ask a more specific question.

Thank you in advance!

Andreas Piening