BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] SPNEGO login failed: invalid parameter

2010-12-07 12:48:19
Subject: [BackupPC-users] SPNEGO login failed: invalid parameter
From: Frank J. Gómez <frank AT crop-circle DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 12:45:17 -0500
A Windows 7 laptop is failing with "backup failed (No files dumped for share win7home)."  Prior to this, one full and three incrementals completed successfully.

I verified the username and password, and I've tried with Windows Firewall turned completely off.  The password and the machine name contain only letters and numbers -- letters only for the username.

When I run:
smbclient \\\\13708n1\\win7home -U backuppc -E -d 3

I get this in the output:
Doing spnego session setup (blob length=336)
SPNEGO login failed: Invalid parameter

I get the same result whether I provide the correct password or not, or whether I use the proper share name or a nonexistent one.  When I run the same command against different Windows 7 laptops, the blob length is much shorter, and I don't get the "Invalid parameter" failure.

Here's another interesting bit of information; when I run:
smbtree -U backuppc

I get (abridged):
MY-WORKGROUP
\\44Z62L1
\\44Z62L1\win7home
\\44Z62L1\Users
\\44Z62L1\IPC$           Remote IPC
\\44Z62L1\C$             Default share
\\44Z62L1\ADMIN$         Remote Admin
\\13708N1

Note that there are no shares listed for 13708N1.  Furthermore, running:
smbtree -U bsmith

(where bsmith is the name of the laptop's primary user) gives a similar output.  The user can't see her own shares, even though I can use that command with other users to see just the shares on their respective laptops.

I think the user must have inadvertently changed some network or sharing settings on her laptop, because it does not appear that her shares are being broadcast.  I've verified that the directory is being shared with the backuppc user as well as the Backup Operators group, using the win7home share name.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Frank