BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] The one-at-a-time nightly problem, debugged; DEVS PLEASE READ; long.

2010-11-25 13:15:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] The one-at-a-time nightly problem, debugged; DEVS PLEASE READ; long.
From: Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell AT digitalkingdom DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 10:12:50 -0800
On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 09:29:34AM +0000, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
> Robin,
>
> Thank you for the awesome write-up.
>
> On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 18:11 -0800, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> > 1.  Don't run a non-nightly job from the CmdQueue when there are
> > nightly job running, *EVER*.
>
> Unfortunately, that's already well-documented. NEVER, EVER call
> BackupPC_nightly while another is running. Let BackupPC's
> scheduler do its job.

I just realized there's been a miscommunication here:

1.  My exhortation you quoted wasn't directed at the *user*, it was
directed at the BackupPC code.  The patch enforces said exhortation.

2.  I *did not* call BackupPC_nightly directly, I was fully aware of
that issue.  I called "BackupPC_serverMesg BackupPC_nightly run", as
I had been told was safe, which means I was trying to let the
scheduler do its job, just as you said.  The problem is that calling
"BackupPC_serverMesg BackupPC_nightly run" when the regular
nightlies are already running, or calling it twice in quick
succession, doesn't result in the scheduler restarting the nightlies
run from scratch (GOOD) or queuing up a second nightlies run when
the first finishes (not great, but OK), it results in the scheduler
eating its own face (BAD).

-Robin

--
http://singinst.org/ :  Our last, best hope for a fantastic future.