BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] archive problem: split says, "no such file or directory"

2010-11-22 09:55:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] archive problem: split says, "no such file or directory"
From: Frank J. Gómez <frank AT crop-circle DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 09:46:34 -0500
Whoops, this email has been sitting in my Drafts folder for about a week.  :-)  Better late than never, I guess.

@Les: Ahhh, now I see what you mean by, "especially if you intend to schedule the runs with cron eventually."  I had everything working perfectly via the web GUI, but then nothing worked via cron.  The web GUI automatically calls my Pre and Post scripts for me.  Gonna have to tweak my cron job to do the same, I guess!

@Mike: Thanks for that tip about -z 0.  I didn't realize I was compressing twice, and this change certainly speeds things up a bit.

@Anyone else using Amazon S3 via s3fs: I was able to work around the error in the original post by renaming the file, then closing the connection to Amazon (i.e., umount the share), and finally reopening the connection (i.e., mounting it again) before beginning to write the archive.

-Frank

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Mike Dresser <mdresser_l AT windsormachine DOT com> wrote:
On 11/11/10 07:32 PM, Frank J. Gómez wrote:
> That's basically what I've done... the command that should run is:
> BackupPC_tarCreate -t -h $host -n $bkupNum -s $share . | /bin/gzip
> | /usr/bin/gpg -r $gpgUser --encrypt | /usr/bin/split -b 650000 -
> $outLoc/0.$host.tar$fileExt.

You might want to throw a -z 0 in the gpg line, so that you're not
compressing twice.

/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -h $host -n -1 -s '*' / |
lzop -1 | gpg -e -z 0 -r Me -r you > $host.tar.lzo.gpg

is what I use, as lzop worked better for me in my testing.