BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Encrypted file system

2010-10-14 11:58:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Encrypted file system
From: Frank J. Gómez <frank AT crop-circle DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, adispivak AT hotmail DOT com
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:31:54 +0000
Yeah, I started a thread like this one a few months ago.  You could use TrueCrypt or something like it so that if someone walks into your server room, pulls the hard drive out of the machine, and walks away with it, they'll have a really hard time actually reading anything off the disk.  That's a pretty good added level of protection, but...

The bottom line is that you want to identify the single points of failure in your organization and eliminate them.  If the Executive Director's laptop hard drive takes a dive, you've eliminated that single point of failure, because the data is now in a secondary location (on your BackupPC server).  If your ED's brain goes down, and the information on his or her drive is crucial to the continued existence of the organization, you have a problem.

Organizations have to trust their employees to some extent, or they won't get very far.

-Frank