BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] What are the advantages/disadvantages of smb vs rsyncd/rsync

2010-10-06 09:06:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] What are the advantages/disadvantages of smb vs rsyncd/rsync
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 08:04:41 -0500
>  Hi,
>
> I would like to backup some laptop computers (for my personal needs).
> For the moment, I automount the shared directories of the Windows 7 PC
> on my Linux backuppc server. This works fine but the problem is that
> some backups are not performed when the laptop is shut down. The backups
> start because the Linux server is running but the mount point is down.
> I would like to know what are the advantages/drawbacks for laptop pcs of
> the following policies :
>
>     * automount of shared directories + rsync (what I do now).
>     * smb + tar
>     * rsyncd
>     * Other ?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Xuo.

Well, if the laptop's down, none of these methods will help you back it
up, obviously, but here's a brief outline of the pros and cons:

* automount of shared directories + rsync (what I do now).
Probably the least bandwidth-efficient, since rsync has to read every file
over the mount.  Can't handle open files.
* smb
Requires the least amount of software on the client.  Uses timestamp for
incrementals, so can miss copied files and renamed directories during
incrementals.  Can't handle open files.
* automount of shared directories + tar
All the disadvantages of mounting plus all the disadvantages of tar
* rsyncd/rsync
Can be bandwidth efficient and seamless, there are scripts publicly
available that can handle open files.  Within this category, the
variations of ssh/rsyncd, rsyncd, winexe/rsync have varying degrees of
speed, ease of deployment, and encryption.  I use the winexe/rsync method
since we have no need of encryption, so we prioritize speed and ease of
deployment.

* Other ?