BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Why does my rsync backup takes 7 hours?

2010-09-21 15:21:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Why does my rsync backup takes 7 hours?
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 14:19:47 -0500
On 09/15 04:49 , Les Mikesell wrote:
> Perhaps you could start a run manually when going to lunch or some other
> known slack time.  Or maybe the bulk of files could be moved to an
> always-on server and mapped back to this machine for access.

I have a couple of client locations where I use cron jobs to force a backup
of people's laptops to take place at noon or whatever other time the user
tends to go to lunch or a meeting. It's not a great solution, but it does
work.

Crashplan (http://b3.crashplan.com/landing/index.html) is kind of nice in
that it can automatically throttle its disk and CPU usage so the user isn't
impacted as adversely as they would be by backuppc. (One can set up a
bandwidth limit in rsync, but it's not dynamic according to available
cycled).

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator