BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] MOTD breaking rsync...

2010-09-17 19:03:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] MOTD breaking rsync...
From: RC <cooleyr AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 23:01:05 +0000 (UTC)
Jon Craig <cannedspam.cant <at> gmail.com> writes:

> as for attitudes yours isn't one that inspires people to spend time trying to
support a marginal OS from a company that has a poor track record with the open
source world.

My first (perfectly polite) post got completely ignored.  Nothing has changed my
opinion that this list appears to be for complete beginners.  I haven't seen
anyone provide any useful technical information that I don't already know from
my own few hours investigating BackupPC.  Your own comments, where you presume
to educate me, aren't providing any new information, either.

> Your casting of stones at the architecture of BackupPC is in incredibly poor
taste given your demonstrated level of skill.

You're welcome to point out how I have, in any way, demonstrated any lack of
technical competence, other than the mere fact I'm not a major Perl hacker who
can instantly jump into and fix bugs in an unfamiliar project.

> For your information BackupPC does not send full and partial backups in the
sense of traditional backup software.

I'm well aware of that.  "Full" backups (checksumming the ENTIRE filesystem),
however, are an obscene waste of time and resources for no good reason, that CAN
be eliminated for the reasons I've already stated.  Network bandwidth, disk
space, etc., are not my predominant concerns.  The time it takes to run a "full"
backup on a multi-terabyte server is extremely prohibitive.  Several commercial
backup solutions (CDP-type solutions in particular) only do a full backup once,
and NEVER again.  rsync is perfectly capable of doing something quite close to
this.  There's no reason BackupPC shouldn't be able to take advantage of this as
well, if it simply dropped the legacy full/incr mentality.