BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup backuppc

2010-08-20 10:11:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup backuppc
From: Farmol SPA <farmolspa AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:09:02 +0200
 -------- Original Message  --------
From: Tyler J. Wagner <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Cc: Farmol SPA <farmolspa AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri Aug 20 2010 15:00:37 GMT+0200 (ora Legale Europa Occidentale)
> On Friday 20 Aug 2010 12:32:10 Farmol SPA wrote:
>> A question: the source logical volume and the snapshot one must reside
>> in the same volume group for this feature to work?
> I believe a snapshot of a logical volume must necessarily reside in the same
> volume group, yes. So if you have an LV which is 100% of the VG, you must
> resize it down or add disks to make it larger.

I made some tests and the snapshot must belong to the same vg of the
source lv.

So, whenever I create the snapshot I have a "static" copy of the source
lv that I can copy with any method (eg rsync or netcat). At this point,
please forgive me, I don't see the advantage of LVM snapshots than using
directly the rsync approach on the "live" lv provided backuppc is
sleeping during this period. Provided there is no activity on the source
volume, how can the copy from the snaphost be faster than the direct
copy? is there any hidden mechanism that do the trick?

Maybe I missed something.

Alessandro