BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup backuppc

2010-08-18 08:33:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup backuppc
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 07:31:46 -0500
Farmol SPA wrote:
> Hi list.
>
> I would like to ask which is the simplest yet effective way to dump
> backuppc stuff (mainly __TOPDIR__) eg to a removable hard disk that will
> be used in a disaster recovery scenario where the plant were destroyed
> and I need to restore data from this survivor device. Is a "rsync -aH"
> enough?

If your archive is small and you have plenty of RAM you may be able to do it
with rsync -aH, but there is a limit to what you can copy in a reasonable
amount
of time because there is not an efficient way to re-create the hardlinks.  If
the removable drive is as large as the disk or partition containing the
archive,
you may be able to use an image copy of the raw device instead with the source
partition unmounted.  In any case you'll need a similarly-configured backuppc
installation to mount it into for the restore so be sure you have copies of
wherever your installtion puts them.