BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] SMB limitations?

2010-07-07 10:02:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] SMB limitations?
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 09:45:21 -0400
Jim Kyle wrote:
> A possibly related problem is that sometimes new files that have been added
> to a machine are not found by a subsequent incremental backup. For
> instance, last night I added some 50 photo images to a directory in one of
> the VMs, and when done, manually ran an incremental backup of that system
> for safekeeping. Less than a dozen of the files were transferred! This
> omission also seems to happen at random for the non-VM systems also.

This is most likely due to how SMB handles the incremental backups.
With SMB, only the file dates are checked to see if a file needs to be
backed up.  If the date on the file is earlier than the previous full,
the file will not be backed up.  This is true even if the file did not
exist previously.  The most common case for this to happen is when you
copy files from one computer to another.  The next full backup will get
everything.

--
Bowie