BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Changing Backup Location

2010-07-01 07:49:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Changing Backup Location
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 06:48:03 -0500
waverider wrote:

>>> I created a symlink - hopefully correctly.  The original install placed
>>> backups in /var/lib/backuppc and I wanted to redirect them to
>>> /media/data/backuppc.  I created the symlink with ln -s /var/lib/backuppc
>>> /media/data/backuppc which created a folder named backuppc in the
>>> /media/data/ folder.  Hopefully I got this the right way around.
>>>
>> That command is correct.
>>

> Ummm, the idea is to create /var/lib/backuppc as a symlink pointing to
> wherever the storage really is (after renaming the original
> /var/lib/backuppc and copying any existing data you need to retain to
> the new location).   So that command is backwards.
>
> I'm not sure how I missed your post, but I did.  No wonder things won't work.
>  I had a funny feeling it was wrong, and no-one had mentioned altering the
> original file. Back to the drawing board to have another go :-)
> There should be some guidelines for this somewhere - I certainly haven't
> found any.

The wiki pages are a little hard to find, but try the first link on this page:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=Tips_and_Tricks

If you install from scratch you have a chance to pick where you want the
archive
but the packaged versions have already done this step for you.  The really
simple way to handle it is to mount your partition as /var/lib/backuppc before
installing the package.