BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] It's not working here

2010-06-28 14:32:34
Subject: [BackupPC-users] It's not working here
From: Jim Kyle <jim AT jimkyle DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:30:28 -0500
I'm trying to setup a backup system for my home-office LAN which consists
of three Xubuntu Hardy 8.04.4 boxes and one that runs Win98SE. Initially
I've left the Windows box out of the mix; the three Xubuntu boxes are
configured to use tar rather than rsync, and while I'm getting it to work
I'm only backing up /etc on each box. I've got ssh working and the BackupPC
server is accessible from all three, but attempts to do either full or
incremental backups fail. Here's a typical Xfer.LOG report, from localhost:

Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -n -l backuppc localhost sudo env LC_ALL=C /bin/tar
-c -v -f - -C /etc --totals --newer=2010-06-27 08:56:28 .
incr backup started back to 2010-06-27 08:56:28 (backup #0) for directory /etc
Xfer PIDs are now 26333,26332
Tar exited with error 65280 () status
tarExtract: Done: 0 errors, 0 filesExist, 0 sizeExist, 0 sizeExistComp, 0
filesTotal, 0 sizeTotal
Got fatal error during xfer (Tar exited with error 65280 () status)
Backup aborted (Tar exited with error 65280 () status)

(I've inserted extra line spaces to keep the report from running together.)
I haven't found any documentation to tell me what the "65280" tar error
means; localhost did run one full backup when I was getting things set up
so I would expect incrementals to work. Any ideas?
--
Jim Kyle
mailto:jim AT jimkyle DOT com