BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Sending full copies of files that are old and exist in cpool

2010-06-22 17:46:11
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Sending full copies of files that are old and exist in cpool
From: rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:44:16 +0000
Hi all:

Using backuppc 3.2.0beta0 on centos 5.5 which was a recent upgrade
from centos 5.2. I use the rsync backup method for all my systems.

All of a sudden I am seeing files that are in the cpool and should
have only checksums sent back to the server apparently sending the
entire file. I have a 2gb file and I was able to see using strace the
file was opened and around 2gb of data was written to the network.

Does anybody have any ideas what could cause this?

I can think of a couple of things:

  I check 1% of the pool a night which is the default setting of:
   $Conf{RsyncCsumCacheVerifyProb}. Is there an error put out in a log
   file, or is email sent if a file fails it's test? I assume if the
   file failed its test it would be re-transferred on the next cycle.

  I just upgraded the system (and a number of clients) to centos 5.5.
    Is it possible something changed in the underlying applications
    that is causing BackupPC to not reallies the the file is in the
    pool?

I seem to have a lot of backups that are taking 200-400% more time
than they usually do and I see a lot of time spent processing large
files that are months old.

Is there any way of getting a list of the new files for a prior
backup? I know I can see the list for the currently running backup in
the pc/host/NewFileList file. Does that correspond to entries in the
XferLog that are files marked create?

If a file is marked pool in the XferLog that means that is should not
have been transferred in full by the rsync backup method correct?

Is there any place else I can look to try to track this issue down?

Thanks for your help.

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111