BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Host groups

2010-06-10 07:07:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Host groups
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:05:50 +0100
I think the smartest thing is to allow host templates which are effectively
hosts, except they cannot be archived or restored. Then when you create a
host, you can specify a template. Any customisations in that template are
inherited, but overrides in the host take precedence.

Regards,
Tyler

On Thursday 10 June 2010 11:27:36 B. Alexander wrote:
> (Damn, I thought I had posted it to the list, but I can't find it)
>
> I was thinking about setting up something like this by editing the
>  config.cf. I was more concerned with dividing by distribution, but I guess
>  you could do it by function. What I was thinking of doing is setting a
>  variable that contains the directories to back up, for instance,
>
> $Dirs{Debian} = [ '/var/backups', '/var/cache/apt', '/var/lib/apt',
> '/var/lib/dpkg' ];
>
> Then in the individual files, referring to $Dirs{Debian} within
> $Conf{RsyncShareName} for each host. You could easily set up something like
> $Dirs{WebServer} or $Dirs{DbServer} or $Dirs{WorkStation} or whatever.
> (Forgive any syntax errors which may have crept in, my perl-foo sucks.
>
> In any case, I was told that something like this should work.
>
> HTH,
> --b
>
> 2010/6/10 Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
>
> > Tóth Andor wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >

> > > I’d like to make host groups, and set configuration according to group
> > > membership (e.g.: webservers, databases). I have made a workaround by
> > > creating symlinks for host configurations, but does BackupPC have some
> > > built in solutions for this?
> >
> > The closest thing is the ability to copy an existing configuration with
> > the new=old syntax when you add a new host through the web interface.
> > Unfortunately
> > it doesn't help if you want to change a setting across a group of
> > machines later.
> >
> > --
> >   Les Mikesell
> >    lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes
hurtling down the highway.
   -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum