BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] diagnosing increases in the backup pool

2010-06-09 03:36:05
Subject: [BackupPC-users] diagnosing increases in the backup pool
From: Andrew Schulman <andrex AT alumni.utexas DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 03:33:20 -0400
Recently the size of my backup pool has suddenly started growing, by about 1G
per day.  I can't sustain that for too long, so I'm trying to figure out where
the differences are coming from.  It's hard.  I'm using find -size to look for
large files in the cpool, and then find -samefile to map them back into files
under pc.  But that's not guaranteed to find the source of the increase.

I've used diff to compare recursive file listings of different directories under
PC, but that's slow work and doesn't seem to be telling me much yet.

I've looked at the file size/count/reuse and compression statistics, but they
don't seem to show much, it's one host at a time, and frankly I can't make much
sense of them anyway.

How have other people addressed this problem?  Has anyone developed any standard
tools or reports that identify changes to the storage pool?

Thanks,
Andrew.