BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup WebDAV locations?

2010-05-25 09:25:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup WebDAV locations?
From: Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 08:23:25 -0500
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 8:10 AM, leSasch
<backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> is it possible to backup a WebDAV location with BackupPC?
> (except of mounting it locally and backing up the mount-direcory ;-))

I think what you're really asking is, "Does anyone know how to backup
a WebDAV location?""

I'm sure it's possible, you just have to figure out how to do it.
Since you have full control of what commands and arguments BackupPC
uses to backup a client, the question is not so much "if", but "how".
I think what you need is a command line program that can either do the
job of rsync, or provide a way for rsync to be able to work over
WebDAV.

Is there a particular reason that you don't want to mount the WebDAV
location to a local mount point?

Also, I'm not an expert but I think you would have a lot of issues
with bandwidth usage if the site you're trying to backup is large
because for full backups you would have to essentially download all
the files before you could perform the hashes to figure out which
files have changed. Incremental backups shouldn't be as bad because I
think it only looks at the modified date.

Richard