BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a backup?

2010-04-30 09:50:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a backup?
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 09:48:10 -0400
Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I find backuppc works extremely well.
> I backup my shared /common directory
> on a different my CentOS-5.4 machine.
>
> But I'm thinking I'd like to be 110% safe,
> and backup my backup on an external HD.
> What is the simplest way of doing this?

One option is to use the archive function of BackupPC to create a tar
file of the latest backup for each machine on your external drive.  This
is fairly simple to do and does not require BackupPC to restore files if
you ever need to use it.  However, this will duplicate all the files
that BackupPC has pooled together, so it will require more space on the
external disk that the actual pool directory uses.

If you have lots of machines, then creating tar archives of them may not
be practical and you may want to just copy the entire BackupPC pool.
You can do this with Rsync for small installations, but as the pool
grows it quickly becomes impractical due to the large number of hard
links it has to deal with.  Rsync will start either running out of
memory or just taking way too long to finish.  What I do is use a
software raid 1 with three disks.  Two of the disks are internal and
provide redundancy for the server.  The third disk is external and is
removed and replaced on a regular basis to give me an off-site backup.

--
Bowie