BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] backuppc backing up Mac OSX to linux

2010-04-26 13:08:39
Subject: [BackupPC-users] backuppc backing up Mac OSX to linux
From: Robert Minvielle <robert AT lite3d DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 12:06:39 -0500 (CDT)
I have backuppc running on a debian 5 box. I am currently backing up a number
of linux
servers without issue. However, I now wish to backup a few mac OS X clients,
and I am
having difficulty. My backuppc server is called backblaze1 (on a backblaze),
and the client
in question is called seed.

Basically, I am only using rsync and not rsyncd to back them up. I have shared
the ssh
keys, and this seems to be working:

backblaze1:~# ssh -l root seed whoami
root
backblaze1:~#

However, if I try to run the backup by hand, using the hostname or IP, I get:

backblaze1:~/t# /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root 10.1.90.42 /usr/bin/rsync --server
--sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group --links --hard-links --times
--block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times . /Volumes/seed/admin/

and it only returns a funny character that looks like a "proportional to"
symbol from mathematics
(extended ASCII code 224).

If run from the backuppc GUI the log reports:

full backup started for directory /Volumes/seed/admin
Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root 10.1.90.42 /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender
--numeric-ids --perms --owner --group --links --hard-links --times
--block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times . /Volumes/seed/admin/
Xfer PIDs are now 13281
Sending: 1c000000
Rsync command pid is 13281
Fetching remote protocol
Read EOF: Connection reset by peer
Tried again: got 0 bytes
Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)
Backup aborted (Unable to read 4 bytes)
Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the prior one
(got 0 and 0 files versus 0)

Not exactly sure what is going on here. I think that rsync on the MAC is
perhaps returning
some odd character(s) which is causing rsync on the backuppc server to fail. I
have searched
the web and found a lot of "basic" setups for the mac client, but they do not
point to any
problems, and have no different configurations than the one that I am using.
Any ideas
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.