BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] optimal backuppc filesystem & backuppc_trashclean

2010-04-14 15:41:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] optimal backuppc filesystem & backuppc_trashclean
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:39:50 -0500
On 04/14 08:58 , Eric Persson wrote:
> The backuppc_trashclean is running a lot, and causes _a lot_ of disk-io,

Yep. It does that. BackupPC is very disk-intensive.

> Is this normal? How long should I expect it to run? Its a raid0 with
> quite normal sata-disks, nothing fancy.

How long it takes all depends on how fast your machine and disks are.

> And also, I'm using ext3, is there any benefit to changeing to xfs or
> whats the optimal filesystem?

If it's not broken, don't fix it.
I typically use XFS for backuppc data these days (and ext3 for the
rest of the OS); but mostly because one doesn't run into limitations on the
number of extents when using XFS. Reiserfs is good as well; but might be
slightly more prone to corruption and not recover from corruption as well as
XFS or ext3 (this being largely based on anecdotal experiences, rather than
any sort of real statistical analysys).

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator