BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows 98 anonymous share help

2010-04-11 17:52:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows 98 anonymous share help
From: "Chris Baker" <cbaker AT intera DOT com>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:50:42 -0500
I think your biggest obstacle here might very well be name resolution. I
haven't worked with Windows 98 in years. However, I noticed that newer
Windows OS's had trouble finding Windows 98 hosts. Earlier versions of
Windows were more geared toward WINS than DNS. Microsoft was also more
interested in promoting its own protocol, NetBUI, instead of TCP/IP.
Microsoft gave up on this around the time that Windows 2000 and XP came out.

One particular instance I remember was printing from a Windows XP machine to
a printer shared on a Windows 98 machine. We had to use the IP address to
set up the printer. Using the host name of the Windows 98 machine would not
work.

Considering that, I would add an entry in your /etc/hosts file for the
Windows 98 PC.

If you are using rsync, you might also find this free program useful. It's
called Delta Copy:

http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/DeltaCopy.jsp

Chris Baker -- cbaker AT intera DOT com
systems administrator