BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC_archive and $Conf{ClientTimeout}

2010-04-07 11:17:12
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_archive and $Conf{ClientTimeout}
From: Marcel Meckel|Softjury GmbH <mm AT softjury DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 16:49:46 +0200
Hi there,

we recently added an archive host to our BackupPC installation and were
very surprised to find out that the archive jobs were being terminated
after exactly 1200 minutes.

After some googleing i found

  http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg17946.html

which explains a lot.

The comment in config.pl regarding $Conf{ClientTimeout} seems to be
wrong and thus confused me:

  # Timeout in seconds when listening for the transport program's
  # (smbclient, tar etc) stdout. If no output is received during this
  # time, then it is assumed that something has wedged during a backup,
  # and the backup is terminated.
  $Conf{ClientTimeout} = 72000;

The comment gives the wrong impression that the timeout is only
triggered when no output has been received for the specified time.

In reality however, $Conf{ClientTimeout} limits the maximum execution
time of an individual transport regardless of output has been received
or not.

In our case we were archiving 33 hosts to disk which would apparently
take more than 20 hours.

I suggest fixing the wrong comment and adding some words that make it
clear that $Conf{ClientTimeout} could be a problem for long running
BackupPC_archive jobs and therefore should be overwritten in the
archive hosts per-PC config.pl file.

Greetings,
Marcel.

--
Softjury GmbH
Südfeldstr. 10

Tel: +49.5221.85402-20
Fax: +49.5221.85402-29
Web: http://www.softjury.de
Mail: info2010 AT softjury DOT de

Registergericht: AG Bad Oeynhausen HRB 10056
Geschäftsführer: Per Hlawatschek
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hiddenhausen
Steuernummer: 324/5723/1814