BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Remote mirror sanity checks

2010-02-28 23:44:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Remote mirror sanity checks
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:42:26 -0700
On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Johannes H. Jensen <joh AT pseudoberries DOT com> wrote:
Actually, one of the files in question is the fformat file of a .svn/
directory which appears many times in one of the backed up
filesystems. Since it will have the same md5 sum, BackupPC links it to
the same file in cpool...
I highly doubt you are reaching the maximum number of hardlinks for a single file but rather the maximum for the filesystem.  I cant find any real numbers on the maximum number of hardlinks for the filesystem or i'd post it.

This works fine in the local server since backuppc is aware of the
link limit, but fails when rsyncing to the remote server since new
backups would increase this link count...

If the disk size is different on one machine than the other, you might have a different hardlink limit as i suspect that it is based on the number of inodes but again, I didnt find and hard data on that floating around.

My suggestion is to split the backup load into smaller chunks on multiple servers and either have a couple of remote servers *OR* a couple different partitions/LVs on the remote system.

Either that or do something else on the remote end link a freebsd/ZFS storage server which doesnt have hardlink limitations that are realstic to hit in the next 20 years.