BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Max concurrent jobs

2010-01-25 11:01:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Max concurrent jobs
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:57:57 -0600
On 01/25 01:52 , Sorin Srbu wrote:
> What kind of hardware performance is the "max concurrent jobs" value of four
> based on?
>
> I'm thinking of how much backup-load I can throw at our dual-xeon machine,
> like maybe increasing the value from four to six, or more.

I usually turn it down to 2 by default. Lower disk contention increases the
overall speed. If I have a really powerful box, I'll experiment with turning
it up to 3 or 4. That said, I have a quad Xeon with a 3ware 9550 disk
controller and 4GB RAM, and still running it with only 2 concurrent jobs
allowed. (I must have determined at some point that 3 concurrent jobs wasn't
worth the disk thrashing).

Your Mileage Will Vary.

--
Carl Soderstrom