BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] ssh don't work to backup localhost

2009-12-24 13:32:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] ssh don't work to backup localhost
From: Chris Robertson <crobertson AT gci DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 09:29:40 -0900
Tony Schreiner wrote:
> On 12/23/2009 10:06 PM, Claude Gélinas wrote:

If I recall correctly, Debian (and related distributions) made this
change with the protocol change from SSH1 to SSH2.  It's a setting in
the sshd_config file (AuthorizedKeysFile).

>>> You could just copy an authorized_keys file from a working machine to
>>> this one as well...
>>>
>>> Also, use ssh -v (or -vv) to see if it whether it tries to use the key
>>> etc...
>>>
>>> Also, check your server config files and log files and compare to other
>>> working machines...
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Adam
>>>

>> I've copyed the authorized_keys from /root/.ssh from a working machine to
>> the
>> oligoextra machine in /boot/.ssh. permission are ok but still no luck.
>>
>> Need a password from backuppc user.
>>
>> I even try to setup another machine to login into oligoextra with the same
>> issue. need password.
>>
>> on a working machine the -vv option give
>>
>>  debug1: Server accepts key: pkalg ssh-rsa blen 277
>>
>> on oilgoextra I don't have that line. look like key is not received or
>> accepted by oligoextra ???
>>

> I forget if anybody has mentioned wrong file permissions as a
> possibility. The ~/.ssh directory may not be group or world
> writable.This will be logged in /var/log/messages if set incorrectly.

I'd start looking through the sshd_config (on Fedora, it should be in
/etc/ssh/).  Check to make sure root logins are permitted
(PermitRootLogin yes *or* PermitRootLogin without-password) and that
public key authentication is allowed (PubkeyAuthentication yes).

Chris