BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] cpool md5sum errors with certain attrib files

2009-12-22 11:53:09
Subject: [BackupPC-users] cpool md5sum errors with certain attrib files
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: General list for user discussion <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 11:50:04 -0500
In my neuroses, I ran a perl script that recursed through the cpool
and checked whether the md5sum of each stored file corresponded to its
location in the pool (note when I say md5sum I mean the special notion
of md5sum defined in BackupPC::Lib.pm)

1. Out of a total of 855,584 pool entries, I found a total of 35 errors.

2. Interestingly, all 35 of these errors corresponded to 'attrib' files.

3. Perhaps even more interestingly, all but two of the attrib files
   were at the top level -- i.e., $TopDir/pc/<machine>/<nnn>/attrib
   (this represents 33 out of a total of 87 backups)

4. None of the attrib files appear corrupted when I examine them using
   BackupPC_attribPrint

So what could possibly be causing the md5sum to be wrong just on a
small subset of my pool files?

Why are these errors exclusively limited to attrib files of which
almost all are top-level attrib files (even though they constitute a
tiny fraction of total attrib files)?

- Disk corruption or hardware errors seem unlikely due to the specific
  nature of these errors and the fact that the file data itself seems
  intact

Of course, I could easily write a routine to "fix" these errors, but I
just don't understand what is wrong here. I suppose the errors aren't
particularly dangerous in that the only potential issue they could
cause would be some missed opportunities for pool de-duplication of
stored attrib files. But there shouldn't be wrong pool md5sums...