BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems on Ubuntu 9.10-Client

2009-12-15 07:09:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems on Ubuntu 9.10-Client
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Georg Schilling <georg.schilling AT sar DOT de>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:05:55 +0100
Hi,

Georg Schilling wrote on 2009-12-15 11:29:26 +0100 [[BackupPC-users] Problems
on Ubuntu 9.10-Client]:
> [...]
> after adding a Ubuntu-Client to our BackupPC-Server I'm struggeling in
> some kind of rsync-problems. Apart from that. all other Ubuntu-Clients
> (!=9.10)work like a charm. Our BackupPC-server is a Solaris10-X86-machine.
>
> Here comes the XferLOG.bad:
> - -----8<-----
> Executing DumpPreUserCmd: /etc/BackupPC/Notify_start_backup full
> sarpc04.sar.de gep
> full backup started for directory /bin (baseline backup #53)
> Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root sarpc04.sar.de /usr/bin/rsync
> - --server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links
> - --hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times . /bin/
> Xfer PIDs are now 26244
> Rsync command pid is 26244
> Fetching remote protocol
> Got remote protocol 1752392034
> Fatal error (bad version): bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot
> change locale (de)

this is the problem: your remote end outputs 'bash: warning: setlocale:
LC_ALL: cannot change locale (de)', which it mustn't. Apart from localized
root error messages being a real pain for the administrator of the machine
(but that's just my opinion), BackupPC rsync backups need a data stream free
of extraneous output. You need to be able to run

        ssh -q -x -l root sarpc04.sar.de /bin/true

(as backuppc user on the BackupPC server) without getting *any* output. For
tar backups, the locale settings would matter, for rsync backups I don't
believe they do. They just need to be correct so you don't get any warning
messages (maybe you need to use 'de_DE' instead of 'de' somewhere?). You
probably need to check the bash startup files for root and the global ones or
basically anything you might have changed to set the locale to 'de'.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Holger