BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0 incremental support?

2009-12-13 18:39:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0 incremental support?
From: Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell AT digitalkingdom DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 15:37:51 -0800
On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 03:46:50PM -0500, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> Robin Lee Powell wrote at about 15:07:04 -0800 on Saturday,
> December 12, 2009:
>  >
>  > It seems to me that rsync's memory bloat issues, which have
>  > been discussed here many times, would be basically fixed by
>  > making File::RsyncP and backuppc itself support rsync 3.0's
>  > incremental file transfer stuff.  Is anyone working on that?
>  >

> I believe it does already at least to some extent automatically
> since memory issues go down when you upgrade to series 3.0+ rsync.
> I believe that is separate from the protocol 30 issue which is not
> addressed by the current version of File::RsyncP

Good to know it's better, but it can't be doing the full incremental
version:

  Beginning  with  rsync  3.0.0,  the recursive algorithm used is
  now an incremental scan that uses much less memory than before and
  begins the transfer after the scanning of the first few
  directories  have  been  completed.   This incremental  scan  only
  affects our recursion algorithm, and does not change a
  non-recursive transfer.  It is also only possible when both ends
  of the transfer are at least version 3.0.0.

(says man rsync)

-Robin

--
They say:  "The first AIs will be built by the military as weapons."
And I'm  thinking:  "Does it even occur to you to try for something