BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] SATA hot-swap

2009-12-03 00:34:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] SATA hot-swap
From: Steve Ling <steve_ling AT yahoo DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 21:32:09 -0800
I hot swap a SATA drive to create archives. I have an older motherboard
with an ICH5 SATA controller that has limited hot swap support and
requires manual help. I believe it's not until ICH10 that you get full
automatic hot swap.

   server1:~ # lspci | grep SATA
   00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA
Controller (rev 02)

This is what I do to detect and mount the drive:

   server1:~ # echo 0 0 0 > /sys/class/scsi_host/host?/scan

   server1:~ # mount /media/bkup

Where host? is the host to which the drive is attached (host0, host1,
etc) and /media/bkup is defined in /etc/fstab via disk label

LABEL=BKUP1 /media/bkup ext3 noauto,acl,user_xattr 0 0

To remove the drive:

   server1:~ # umount /media/bkup

   server1:~ # echo 1 > /sys/block/sd?/device/delete

Where sd? is the device name (sda, sdb, etc). Be sure you have the right
device name or you may do some damage.

Steve