BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] OT Re: use case: desktop system

2009-12-02 10:26:38
Subject: [BackupPC-users] OT Re: use case: desktop system
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:24:06 -0500
Les Mikesell wrote at about 08:51:25 -0600 on Wednesday, December 2, 2009:
 > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 > > Tobias Strauß wrote at about 11:51:32 +0100 on Wednesday, December 2, 2009:
 > >  > i have written a really small util for mom's (ubuntu) PC, that print a
 > >  > small notice abount the backuppc working state.
 > >  >
 > >  > Could something like that become part of the official distribution
 > > package?
 > >  >
 > >  > #!/usr/bin/python
 > >  >

 > > There's your problem. Craig will allow any garbage to be included in
 > > BackupPC just so long as it is written in Perl ;)
 >
 > Perl does have the advantage of almost never having language syntax changes
 > that
 > break existing programs.  Unlike python.  The only one I can even think of
 > was
 > the change to interpolate @ in double-quoted strings in perl5.

Well, there have been others -- in fact, if you recall last year I
reported a bug that broke BackupPC for perl 5.8.10+.

It had to do with the fact that:
        return sort(compareLOGName @files);
needed to be changed to:
        return sort(compareLOGName( @files));

Now perhaps the initial syntax was "illegal" to begin with and
strictly speaking the change had to do with a violation of 'strict
subs' but my point is just that perl isn't perfect either - though
perhaps a lot better than others...