BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows bare metal restore

2009-11-24 22:52:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows bare metal restore
From: Chris Bennett <chris AT ceegeebee DOT com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:21:05 +1030
> Have been meaning to jump in on this conversation, but anyway, better
> late than never...

Definitely, given the additional information you've contributed.. :)

> Each night, we run a script which does the following (on the backuppc
> server, the live server is only accessed by backuppc - rsyncd for backups):
> 1) Make sure the windows 'cdrive' is not mounted
> 2) restore the partimage file to the partition
> 3) mount the partition in linux
> 4) backuppc restore the most recent backup to the cdrive using
> BackupPC_tarCreate .... | tar -xf -
> 5) umount the 'cdrive'
> 6) Check the 'ddrive' is not mounted
> 7) mkntfs the 'ddrive' partition
> 8) mount 'ddrive'
> 9) backuppc restore the most recent backup to the ddrive using
> BackupPC_tarCreate .... | tar -xf -
> 10) umount the ddrive
>
> In our testing so far, everything seems to work perfectly, except we
> need to "re-activate" MS Windows within 3 days of booting the machine.
> Generally we just do our testing without re-activating windows, and also
> we don't want to re-activate too many times or it may not work when we
> need it to.

That's great to know that _something_ works.  I'm actually surprised
ACL's were not the biggest of your problems.  As Les suggested, and
you've confirmed, this looks like a good grounding to connect the
dots.

Does your cdrive backup exclude any particular files (other than
'normal' excludes like pagefile.sys etc)?

I'm wondering if the reason your method works with a file level
restore over a fully functioning mininmal install, is some kind of
dependancy on block-level location for some important data?  And if
that is the case, no amount of fiddling out-of-band will work unless
you preserve block location for whatever those important files are..

e.g. why doesn't a new NTFS file system, file restore, fixboot/fixmbr
"just work"?  What else is missing?

> Please see the script attached, and let me know if you have any
> suggestions for improvement.

I'll have a play and see if I can replicate your results, as well as
try and tie in permissions.  I suspect Jeff will be similarly
interested in having a look at this.

Thanks again for sharing :)

Regards,

Chris Bennett