BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Fwd: Deleting all copies of a file from pool

2009-11-22 14:40:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Fwd: Deleting all copies of a file from pool
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 12:36:51 -0700
I have been successfully deleting files from backups for some time.  I use basic a basic `find <dir> -iname <name> -exec rm {} \;`  to hunt down files and delete them.  I have never had any problems recovering the data as the restore process doesnt have a file list it goes off of but just processes each file in the directory.

to delete all mp3 files from the pc directories

I like to use regular expressions as it reduces the chance of getting the wrong files.

find /path/to/backuppc/pc/ -regex   './.*\.mp3$       \*.mp3 -exec rm {} \;

be carefull with find and regex as you need the ./ at the front.  ./ in this circumstance is specifically "begins with a directory". then .* which is anycharacter followed by any number of any characters, \.mp3 is saying use a real period instead of the any wildcard that . represents followed by mp3, the $ means the end of the line so you wont match a file like
/path/path/info_on.mp3.files.txt
but would match
/path/path/info_on.mp3

you dont need to do anything with the cpool/pool as the backuppc_nightly will clean that up.  Also, the file names there are mangled beyond recognition so find would help you anyway.

I use -or and search for video files, mp3 files, temp files
abbr vers:
find /path/to/pc/ -regex './.*\.mp3$' -or -regex './.*\.avi$' -or -regex './.*\.mpg$' -or -regex './.*\.mpeg$' -exec rm{} \;

I run it in this way because then find only runs through the filesystem 1 time where running these seperately would run it over and over.

Also, you need to be aware of the filename mangling done so you cannot search for /myfile.ext but instead must search for /.myfile.ext or /.*myfile.ext (with regext) or /*myfile.ext if you are using the standard wildcard *

good luck.