BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Did backuppc/rsync end up finishing successfully?

2009-11-18 16:16:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Did backuppc/rsync end up finishing successfully?
From: Matthias Meyer <matthias.meyer AT gmx DOT li>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 22:13:14 +0100
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

> One of my recent backup logs had a single error as follows:
> create d 700  1005/513           0 spoolerlogs
> Remote[1]: rsync error: timeout in data send/receive (code 30) at
> /home/lapo/packaging/rsync-3.0.6-1/src/rsync-3.0.6/io.c(200)
> [sender=3.0.6] Read EOF:
>
> Then the log proceeds:
>   Tried again: got 0 bytes
>   delete   700  1005/513        1024 Documents and
>   Settingsnetworkingntuser.dat.LOG
>   delete   700  1005/513      262144 Documents and
>   Settingsnetworkingntuser.dat Child is aborting
>   Done: 969 files, 587612347 bytes
>

> So my questions are as follows:
> 1. What does the "Read EOF" line mean and is it likely to be the cause
>    or effect (or unrelated) to the previous rsync timeout?

related to the previous rsync timeout

> 2. When the log says "Tried again: got 0 bytes" and proceeds to list
>    two more files before "aborting", does that mean that the backup
>    resumed and completed successfully? If so, were any files likely to
>    be lost?

No. The backup was not completed. Maybee you have a partial backup at least.
Nevertheless, the two files listed are deleted (within your backup) because
theire transmission was not finished.

> 3. When it says "Child is aborting", is that a normal completion or is
>    there an issue?

Your windows client canceld the connection. Reason can be the provider or
any other network problem. Theoretically also firewall or antivirus. But
until now I didn't saw that.

br
Matthias
--