BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problem with backuppc

2009-11-18 13:06:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problem with backuppc
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:03:01 +0100
On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 07:00:09AM -0600, Kameleon wrote:

> I am sure there are others that will chime in on this but as I see it you
> have a few options.
>
> 1. Setup LVM and use the external disk as a permanent addition to the system
> 2. Mount the external disk as the directory that will house your desktops
> backups
>
> Honestly, I would be wary about using an external USB disk. Alot of them
> have power saving features that will power it down after a short period and
> could cause issues with your backups. I would invest in another internal
> drive or even mount via NFS or iSCSI another drive in a separate machine.

You might want to consider at least any RAID as well. Otherwise, if one
of your disk breaks, the LVM is broken and _all_ your backups are gone.

To answer the original question: It is not currently possible to have
BackupPC use different storages. The whole data has to reside on one
file system. How to create a file system spanning multiple disks/RAIDs
and how to manage that is an operating system issue.

HTH,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.tisc.de