BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync on an image?

2009-11-16 16:12:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync on an image?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:10:15 -0600
Christian Völker wrote:

> has somebody tried to rsync a file system image?
>
> As my BackupPC pool is too large for any backup programm (~600GB) to
> follow all the hardlinks, I'm looking (As everyone here) for a better
> solution.
>
> Before I waste days on testing I want to ask how you perform you backups
> of the pool.
>
> So my question is how rsync handles large files? Let's say I have my
> file system image of 600GB. I transfer it to the remote site by USB
> disk. Now I create a new image from the pool and perform an rsync on
> these files. Assuming 1GB has changed spread over the file- how many
> data will rsync transfer? Will it start transferring from the first
> mismatched bit? Or just transfer the changed data?

In theory, rsync is pretty good about re-syncing after a mismatched
chunk but I'm not sure how well it works on huge files.  There are a
couple of other issues to deal with anyway.  First, rsync doesn't handle
raw devices so you either have to patch out the check or copy to an
image file on a larger device.  Also, it wants to build a second copy
out of the original copy plus the differences.  There is an option to
update in place, but if you use it, there will be a substantial period
of time when your offsite copy is inconsistent and unusable and if you
crash in that state you would be out of luck.