BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Changing _TOPDIR_

2009-11-12 01:58:31
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Changing _TOPDIR_
From: Monte Milanuk <memilanuk AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 22:54:44 -0800
... and cleaning up afterwards :|

So... I have an older PC running Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS server, with Samba configured and working, and got BackupPC running.  I thought I had enough setup to do a trial run - a back up of my home directory on my desktop PC running Vista.  It kicked off fine and all looked to be going well... until a few minutes into the initial full backup I remembered that the default 'home' for the backuppc user was /var/lib/backuppc, and everything was likely going to be stowed down there, instead of under /srv like I had intended.  Given that '/' (and /var) is mounted on hda1 (one 13GB PATA drive) and /srv is mounted on two 500GB SATA drives in a software RAID 1 config... I'd much rather backup the 150-200GB from my home directory onto /srv, than into /var/lib/backuppc.  I'm thinking after another half-hour or so it'd start having some problems as is ;)

So... from looking at the web interface and the online documentation, it looks as though what I need to do is change _TOPDIR_ to '/srv/backuppc/'.  After that... it should put all the stuff like _TOPDIR_/trash,
_TOPDIR_/pool, _TOPDIR_/pc/$host, etc. under /srv/backuppc/trash,
/srv/backuppc/pool, etc. and I should be free to go back and delete the appropriate directories under /var/lib/backuppc?  I'd like to free up the several gigabytes of data that got stored in there before I wised up ;)  What should I use for permissions/ownership on /srv/backuppc when I create it?

TIA,

Monte