BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] TextFileWrite: Failed to verify /etc/BackupPC/config.pl.new

2009-11-11 01:23:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] TextFileWrite: Failed to verify /etc/BackupPC/config.pl.new
From: "Michael Mansour" <mic AT npgx.com DOT au>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 17:14:15 +1100
Hi Mathias,

> Michael Mansour wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Since updating to the latest BackupPC version, I've never really had to
> > make a mod to the config via the web interface.
> >
> > Anyway, I just tried to and got the error in the subject:
> >
> > TextFileWrite: Failed to verify /etc/BackupPC/config.pl.new
> >
> > Checking the /etc/BackupPC directory I have:
> >
> > -rw-r----- 1 backuppc apache 78507 Jul 19 06:04 config.pl
> > -rw-r----- 1 backuppc apache     0 Nov 10 12:19 config.pl.new
> > -rw-r----- 1 backuppc apache 76236 Apr 29  2009 config.pl.old
> > -rw-r----- 1 backuppc apache 75640 Jul  4  2008 config.pl.pre-3.1.0
> > -rw-r----- 1 backuppc apache 76236 Jul 19 06:03 config.pl.pre-3.2.0beta0
> >
> > so it seems to create the file but can't "verify" it?
> >
> > Any ideas how I can fix this?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Michael.
> >
> I run V3.1.0 and have no config.pl.new. Nevertheless, the file is empty.
> Try to remove it.

I've removed it. Go back into the Web interface, make a change, click "Save"
and get the error:

TextFileWrite: Failed to verify /etc/BackupPC/config.pl.new

in the browser under the main "Hosts Xfer etc" area.

I check the filesystem and see the file re-created:

# ll conf*
-rw-r----- 1 backuppc apache 78506 Nov 10 12:24 config.pl
-rw-r----- 1 backuppc apache     0 Nov 11 17:04 config.pl.new
-rw-r----- 1 backuppc apache 76236 Apr 29  2009 config.pl.old
-rw-r----- 1 backuppc apache 75640 Jul  4  2008 config.pl.pre-3.1.0
-rw-r----- 1 backuppc apache 76236 Jul 19 06:03 config.pl.pre-3.2.0beta0

It seems to me the software tries to verify the config.pl file but can't write
the file for some reason? (even though the file can be written to the disk?).

It's a strange problem which I think one of the developers who has an
understanding of the process the "Save" takes would be able to help with.

Maybe raise a bug report?

Regards,

Michael.

------- End of Original Message -------