BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Limit user space

2009-11-05 15:50:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Limit user space
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 15:46:48 -0500
Tino Schwarze wrote at about 20:20:54 +0100 on Thursday, November 5, 2009:
 > On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 12:32:10PM -0500, Il Neofita wrote:
 >
 > > I was wondering if is it possibile to limit the backup space of an
 > > user like 30Gb or something like that
 >
 > This is not currently possible with BackupPC. It wouldn't fit the
 > pooling scheme either - how would you count a file which is shared among
 > 5 backups and maybe 3 users?

Well, one possible metric consistent with pooling would be to just
measure unique files per user which corresponds to the incremental
requirements of that user and correspondingly the amount of space that
would be freed were such user to disappear.

Of course it's not implemented now but it wouldn't be too hard if
there were a database back-end ;)

Otherwise, the problem is difficult since while you can tell me when a
user adds a file to a pool, you can't easily tell either when another
user starts also using the file or conversely when a previously pooled
file becomes unpooled -- what I mean is that you can't go backwards
from presence in the pool to locations in the pc directory unless you
created some type of database to do that mapping.