BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Help with existing BackupPC installation

2009-10-12 08:43:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Help with existing BackupPC installation
From: Rob Owens <rowens AT ptd DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 08:39:32 -0400
On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 02:21:40PM -0400, Terence Berendt wrote:
> I need some help and hope this email is not considered spamming and that I'm
> on the correct list.
> I have inherited a BackupPC installation from a previous administrator who is
> no longer with the company.  Unfortunately, I am not at all familiar with the
> software or even Linux (the host) for that matter.  Everything was going well
> and I found the interface easy to use until recently when the hard drive
> filled up and we can no longer back up.
> The higher ups in the company want to move the old data to another location,
> such as a USB drive and then adjust the backup so that it only retains data
> for a more reasonable amount of time.  I looked at the documentation and
> cannot figure out how to setup an archive properly (assuming that's what I
> really want to do).
> I hope someone can take pity on this newbie and give me some tips/help.

Terry,

Try reducing the number of full backups kept in the mail-exch server
config page.  Those backups are huge, and don't benefit from pooling
because of the multi-gigabyte files that ntbackup creates.

Let Victor know I'm available as a consultant when I'm not doing my
regular job.

-Rob (the previous administrator)