BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Pooling doesn't work

2009-10-08 12:03:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Pooling doesn't work
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Patric Hafner <patric AT hafnernetz DOT de>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 17:56:58 +0200
Hi again,

I was just going to add that your subject is incorrect, but I see that you
seem to be having a second issue. Sorry for replying a bit hastily, but your
wording does make it rather easy to draw incorrect conclusions (or rather miss
essential points).

Patric Hafner wrote on 2009-10-08 16:29:54 +0200 [[BackupPC-users] Pooling
doesn't work]:
> [...]
> My problem is, that during an incremental backup nearly every file is
> marked as "create", so nearly every file will be downloaded again.
> About 20% are marked as "pool".

Note that "pool" also means "downloaded again". Not downloaded due to rsync
savings is "same" (in a full backup) or the file simply not appearing in the
log (in an incremental backup).

> But those files marked as "create" haven't changed since the last run,
> timestamps are still the same. For example the whole /etc directory will
> be downloaded every day. And I can surely say that nothing changed there.

Timestamps are not the only indication of change. It is *possible* to modify a
file without changing the timestamp (e.g. resetting it after the change). But
that is probably not what is happening here.

It would appear that pooling is only *partially* working (which is confusing
in itself). You couldn't have files marked "pool" if there was no pooling at
all. I would *guess* that you have probably incorrectly changed $TopDir after
having made some backups. You probably have tons of "link failed ..." errors
in your log files. New files are not added to the pool, so only files already
present from your first backups would be found there, though linking would not
work for them, either.

Again, for anything more than educated guesses about what might be going
wrong, we need details about your setup.

- What version, what installation method, what OS, which paths, which
  filesystem(s), how partitioned?
- What did you change recently? Move $TopDir? How? See

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=Change_archive_directory
  for details on what you should or should not have done.
- Is there anything suspicious in your log files ($LogDir/LOG and
  $TopDir/pc/hostname/XferLOG.NN.z)?

> This results an an extensive amount of traffic, which is unacceptable.

Err, no. It results in an excessive amount of storage being used. Traffic is
independant of storage. If pooling was working correctly, you could still have
the same amount of traffic, but everything should be marked "pool" and stored
only once. Conversely, if rsync transfers were working correctly, you would
save traffic, but that does not imply that pooling would work. True, for this
one host unchanged files would be re-used, but they would not be matched up
against independent copies of identical content (from the same host or
different hosts).

You need to fix both issues, and they are independant of each other.

Regards,
Holger