BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] pbzip2 support?

2009-10-05 05:47:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] pbzip2 support?
From: Daniel Berteaud <daniel AT firewall-services DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 11:43:47 +0200
Le samedi 03 octobre 2009 à 14:57 +0200, ml AT knoway DOT info a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> is currently possible to use pbzip2 instead of bzip2 for pool/file
> compression?
>
> It could be better with archive-hosts and/or for pool management?
> Someone has already tried it?

Not tried it yet with BackupPC. but tried pbzip2 with some big files,
and indeed, if you have multi-core CPU, it can speedup things.

For pool file, I don't think it can be used as files are compressed
using Compress::Zlib perl library.

But you can always use it for archived host, without modification needed
in BackupPC:

/usr/share/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -t -h host -n -1 -s "*" . | pbzip2 -c
> /mnt/extbackup/host.tar.bz2

I just saw there's also an equivalent for gzip:
http://www.zlib.net/pigz/
(I haven't tried it yet).

Regards, Daniel

> Thanks

Daniel Berteaud
FIREWALL-SERVICES SARL.
Société de Services en Logiciels Libres
Technopôle Montesquieu
33650 MARTILLAC
Tel : 05 56 64 15 32
Fax : 05 56 64 15 32
Mail: daniel AT firewall-services DOT com
Web : http://www.firewall-services.com