BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] "Exponential expiring incremental backups" with IncrKeepCnt?

2009-09-29 06:41:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] "Exponential expiring incremental backups" with IncrKeepCnt?
From: "Christian Neumann" <christian.neumann AT mercyships DOT org>
To: "'Holger Parplies'" <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:37:10 +0100
Hi,

> > The documentation mentions exponential expiring incremental backups
> > (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#backup_basics):
> > "BackupPC can also be configured to keep a certain number of
> > incremental backups, and to keep a smaller number of very
> > old incremental backups."
>
> while I don't really understand what "keep a smaller number
> of very old incremental backups" is supposed to mean, there
> is no mention of exponential incremental backup expiry.

In the past we've used programs like snapback to do only once a full backup
and subsequently just store the differences. This approach has several
limitations and that's why we are looking into alternatives. (Disclaimer: I
don't want to start (yet another) discussion about the pro/cons). But for us
a total file storage size with a couple of TB a full backup takes a few
days. Therefore we can't easily afford running a full backup every 1 or 2
weeks.

Just finding all relevant parameters for Incremental and Full backups named
the same (Period, KeepCnt, KeepCntMin, AgeMax) and reading "Exponential
expiry [for full backups] is specified using an array for FullKeepCnt" lead
me to the question if this is also true for IncrKeepCnt.

In this context I've interpreted the documentation "keep a smaller number of
very old incremental backups" as an "exponential incremental backup expiry".

> > Are "exponential expiring incremental backups" supported?
> [...]
>
> Why would you want that?
>
> Incremental backups are there for gaining a speed advantage -
> an advantage that will allow you to make daily (or hourly or
> whatever) backups.

You've said it. I was interested in the speedup (and I know e.g.
http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg04341.ht
ml)

> (*) Actually, you probably need regular full backups with any
> backup scheme.
> It's just that on this list, we make a point of telling you ;-).

Sometimes it is tough to tell the truth :-) And I understand the technical
explanations why you mention this. So would classify this page
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_backup#Synthetic_full_backup) as
"needs improvement"?

Thanks!
christian