BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...

2009-08-31 20:02:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...
From: Marty <martyb AT ix.netcom DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 19:58:58 -0400
Peter Walter wrote:

> Terabyte image copies between servers are not feasible with the WAN
> bandwidth I have available. The second backup server does not (and
> cannot)  backup the original targets directly - the second backup server
> may only access the primary backup servers remotely, not the targets
> that the primary backup servers access. Using zfs is not an option
> because I don't control the configuration of the primary backup server,
> except that I am allowed to configure backuppc on it.
>
> I am therefore restricted to copying the primary backup server itself.
> The intent is not to be able to recover the targets directly - the aim
> is to recover the primary backup server, and, from there, recover the
> targets. If I had a method of simply backing up the changed files on the
> backup server, and a method of dumping the hardlinks in such a manner
> that they could be reconstituted later, then that would suffice.

I have not followed this thread so I may have missed somebody else making
this point, but recent versions of rsync have solved the memory hogging
issue, and I have used it for my small file pool (220MB), which syncs in
a few hours if I don't let it get too outdated.  One or two gigs of ram
is enough.  I don't know how well it would work with massive pools or over
a WAN.

Marty