BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Which FS?

2009-08-31 11:52:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Which FS?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 10:50:07 -0500
Christian Völker wrote:

>> With backuppc the issue is not so much fragmentation within a file as
>> the distance between the directory entry, the inode, and the file
>> content.  When creating a new file, filesystems generally attempt to
>> allocate these close to each other, but when you link an existing file
>> into a new directory, that obviously can't be done so you end up with a
>> lot of long seeks when you try to traverse directories picking up the
>> inode info.
> Makes sense to me. Is there any FS which would be recommended for best
> performance?
>
> Thanks for hints...

Starting completely from scratch I'd probably try OpenSolaris/zfs and
use its snapshot send/receive for offsite copies.  With Linux, probably
xfs on a 64-bit version.  These are based on reading about their
features, not actual testing, though.  Realistically, if you are going
to mostly fill a drive with data, you can expect the head to have to
move around a lot to access it regardless of any magic in the filesystem
- and moving the head is still a slow operation that makes everything
else wait.

By the way, I've seen some reports that RHEL 5.4 (in beta now) includes
support for xfs - so it will probably also be in  the stock CentOS
kernel soon.