BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] New user- loads of questions

2009-08-18 07:28:35
Subject: [BackupPC-users] New user- loads of questions
From: "Nigel Kendrick" <support-lists AT petdoctors.co DOT uk>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:04:16 +0100
Morning,

I have just started to play with backuppc and am making good strides - local (SMB) backups are working fine and I am just about to have a look at rsync-based backups from a couple of local Linux servers before moving on to SMB/rsync via SSH and some VPNs.

I am diligently RTFM-ing, supplemented with the stuff found via Google - which is a bit overwhelming, so I'd appreciate some short cuts from anyone with a bit more real-world experience if possible:

1) I presume(?) SMB-based backups cannot do block-difference-level copies like rsync? We have a number of remote (over VPN) Windows servers and I'd like to backup their MSSQL database dumps - they are around 700MB at the moment and I presume via SMB the whole lot will get transferred every time?

2) I have seen a number of guides for cwrsync on Windows-based PCs. Any votes on the best one and the best place to read up on this? I presume that since we'd be backing up via VPN, we could run rsync directly rather than via an SSH tunnel?

3) As the remote sites are linked via VPN, I could mount the remote shares to the local backup server and use rsync 'directly' - any pros/cons doing things this way (speed, reliability etc?), or is an rsync server on the remote servers a better approach?

4) I am running the backup server on CentOS 5.3 and installed backuppc from the Centos RPM. Ideally I'd like to run the app as the normal 'apache' user - I read up on a few generic notes about doing this and got to a point where backuppc wouldn't start properly as it couldn't create the LOG file. I then went round in circles looking at file permissions before putting things back the way they were in order to do some more learning. Is there a simple-to-follow guide for setting up backuppc to not use mod_perl - I have read the docs but am still not getting there.

Many thanks

Nigel Kendrick